Twitter has announced that their SMS-based two-factor authentication will now only be available for Blue subscribers. If you want to protect your Twitter account, there are other options available for two-factor authentication, such as using an authenticator app or a physical security key.
What is 2FA? Why is it important? And how do you set up an authenticator app?
What is 2FA?
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a security process that requires users to provide two different authentication factors in order to verify their identity. Typically, this involves entering a password (something the user knows) as well as providing a second factor such as a fingerprint or a code generated by an app on their phone (something the user has). By requiring two factors, 2FA adds an extra layer of security to protect against unauthorized access to sensitive information or accounts.
Adding an authentication app to Twitter
Open the Twitter App.
- Hit the profile icon in the sidebar on the left side of the screen, and choose Settings and Support > Settings and Privacy.
- Click Security and account access > Security > Two-factor authentication.
- Choose the Authentication app, and enter your password if prompted.
- Link the app to your Twitter Account.
- Now select the Authentication app of choice.
- Now your Twitter is automatically linked to the Authentication App.
- Enter the confirmation code that you get in the authentication app.
- On the next screen, Twitter will provide you with a single-use backup code; make sure to hang onto it in case you lose access to your phone or authentication app.
That’s all there is to it! This will keep your account more secure than using SMS 2FA, and better yet: it’s completely free.
Hey there! Thanks for checking out our post. If you’re interested in staying up-to-date with the latest social media and business news, you should definitely check out our daily newsletter.
The News Channel covers everything from the latest tech trends to the hottest cryptocurrency updates. Our newsletter is super popular among students, entrepreneurs, and employees alike. Give it a try by clicking here!